Study Abroad FAQs 2018-03-26T11:45:27+00:00

Study Abroad FAQs

For a list of current programs offered through the Chaplin School, please visit The Office of Study Abroad is also a good resource for finding other FIU study abroad opportunities.

It depends on the program so check your program’s website for details.
Study abroad and international exchange programs have courses associated with them; study tours do not have any associated classes (no credits).

While you would typically take a FIU class with a FIU professor during a study abroad program, international exchange requires enrollment at a partner university to earn credit. Oftentimes, you must speak the language of the destination country in order to participate in an international exchange program.

Many of the FIU study abroad programs allow participants to pay in-state tuition rates, while students participating in an international exchange program would pay their regular tuition rate.

To sign up, access the webpage for your specific study abroad program to submit your deposit and study abroad application before the deadline.  All Chaplin School study abroad programs are linked at Chaplin School Study Abroad Website.  Other study abroad opportunities are available through FIU’s Office of Study Abroad. Visit their website for details on how to sign up for non-Chaplin School programs.

International exchange programs are coordinated through FIU’s Office of Study Abroad. Please contact the office directly for details and deadlines for international exchange programs.

If you have specific questions about one of the study abroad programs, please contact the Faculty Director listed on the program’s webpage.  Should you have general study abroad questions, you may contact Dawn Fagnan at, 305.919.4513, or visit her office at BBC in HM 321C.

Check the Office of Study Abroad’s Fund Your Study Abroad Program page for possible funding opportunities. You may also find other opportunities online by doing a web search.

Financial aid may cover the cost of your classes (i.e. tuition and fees), but it will most likely not cover the cost for your study abroad package (travel costs, accommodations, etc.).  Contact the Financial Aid Office directly for details.

Payments for all study abroad programs are paid online.  Some payments may be paid through your Student Account on, but other payments may be collected by the academic department.  Please direct all payment questions to your Faculty Director for your study abroad program.

Please upload your study abroad documents to your Study Abroad application through StudioAbroad (the study abroad application system).  Direct questions about the documents required to your Faculty Director for your study abroad program.

FIU’s Office of Study Abroad is located at the Modesto Maidique Campus (MMC) in SASC 230.  While they do not have an office at BBC, they often conduct information sessions and events at BBC.

At the Chaplin School, Dawn Fagnan works with the faculty to coordinate and administer the study abroad programs related to hospitality management.  Should you have general study abroad questions, you may contact Dawn at, 305.919.4513, or visit her office at BBC in HM 321C.  Questions about a specific study abroad program should be directed to the Faculty Director for the study abroad program, as listed on the program’s website.

Study abroad participants may earn A Hospitality Education Abroad Designation (AHEAD) by completing at least nine (9) credits during one or more Chaplin School study abroad programs. Students who complete the AHEAD program will receive a printed certificate. For details and to request your AHEAD certificate, visit

  • Study Abroad at TUC

    Chinese performers in China

    U.S. students can experience international hospitality and tourism first hand while earning an undergraduate degree in China.