Recipients of the 2014 Lee Brian Schrager Excellence in Leadership Awards were recently presented with their certificates at an award ceremony at the Chaplin School of Hospitality & Tourism Management. The seven students, (left to right) Sylvia de Ovin-Berenguer, Rossy Ambe-Cohen, Paige Wuensch, Debra Kuhn, Angelie Rodriguez, Javier Nolla, and Malcolm Prude, pictured with Lee Brian Schrager (center) were recognized for their efforts during the 2014 Food Network South Beach Wine & Food Festival presented by FOOD & WINE.
FIU’s Chaplin School of Hospitality & Tourism Management annually recognizes the outstanding leadership that Mr. Schrager has exemplified as founder and director of the world-renowned Food Network South Beach Wine & Food Festival. Shrager’s vision and leadership as one of the nation’s preeminent event producers and public relations experts, has provided Chaplin School students with the encouragement, motivation, and inspiration necessary for them to become future leaders in their fields. His vision and exceptional dedication to the wine and culinary world continues to provide a beacon to shine on our community, and to benefit the students of FIU’s Chaplin School of Hospitality & Tourism Management.
Students received awards for their efforts in the following categories:
Excellence in Special Event Management
- Javier F. Nolla was nominated for his exemplary management of the North Venue Lead Team and Recruiting, placing, and supporting Culinary Management students onsite.
- Angelie Rodriguez was nominated based upon her exceptional work assisting with planning and execution of seven events throughout the festival.
Excellence in Culinary Management
- Rossy Ambe-Cohen was selected for her efforts as Lead Student Volunteer for The Wine Spectator Restaurant Management Lab Inaugural Dinner, Best of the Best, Sammy Hagar, and Best of the Munchies events,
- Debra Allan Kuhn performed as a Culinary Student Lead Volunteer for The “Q” and Burger Bash events and participated in the planning and implementation of these dynamic events.
- Sylvia de Ovin-Berenguer was a Culinary Student Lead Volunteer where she worked at the Amstel Light Burger Bash and Goya Foods Swine & Wine events.
- Malcom Prude was a Culinary Student Lead Volunteer at the Grand Tasting Village and all the North venue events of the Food Network South Beach Wine & Food Festival 2014.
Excellence in Beverage Management
- Paige Wuensch had a leading role in the Food Network South Beach Wine & Food Festival for the past four years in various capacities. This year she was responsible for all beer pouring associates during the Festival. Paige was the Student Event Director of South Florida BrewFest 2013.