A bold, intentional initiative is underway across the United States between higher education institutions and top hospitality stakeholders to build a strategically aligned foundation, to address the needs of and create a pathway for talented, lower socio-economic, underrepresented minority students to pursue a hospitality management degree and become future leaders in the industry.
AHED will provide a path for high school and community college students to gain access to leading hospitality education programs in the pursuit of ultimately attaining positions in executive-leadership—where Black professionals represent less than one percent of all industry CEOs and presidents and women less than 12 percent—and/or an academic career leading to professorships in hospitality management with an esteemed institution.
To intentionally transform the hospitality industry to uplift and amplify a culture representative of untapped talent.
To create a hospitality workforce of diverse, equitable, and inclusive leaders
To catalyze hospitality DEI action through recruitment, scholarship, advocacy, mentorship, and partnership—elevating measurable belonging and accountability
Did you know?
- <1%Of hospitality industry CEOs/Presidents are black
- <12%Women in hospitality industry leadership positions
- <11%Hispanic/Latinx professors in hospitality higher education
- 40%The drastic drop of female employees moving up to mid-level management positions
The Alliance for Hospitality Equity & Diversity (AHED) will seek to:
- Establish the Southern Glazer's Wine & Spirits (SGWS) Endowed Professorship
- Create pathways and scholarships for underrepresented minorities and in gender diversity
- Generate new hospitality industry research
- Offer mentorship program with diverse Alliance-member executives
- Build inclusive, committed partnerships with other hospitality programs
- Develop a recruitment team to identify potential students and future leaders in our industry.
AHED Council Members
The Alliance for Hospitality Equity & Diversity council is made up of academic, industry, and associations professionals in the hospitality field.
Support the Alliance
We are confident that our partnership opportunity can help reshape the DE&I demographic landscape within the Hospitality and Tourism industry.