The career development office offers planning and assistance to help hospitality management students meet the minimum requirement of practical industry experience for graduation.
To ensure that an experience is educational, and thus eligible to be considered a legitimate internship, all of the following criteria must be met:
- The experience must be an extension of the classroom - a learning experience where you can apply the knowledge gained in the classroom. It must not be simply to advance the operations of the employer or be the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
- The skills or knowledge learned must be transferable to other employment settings.
- The experience has a defined beginning and end, and a job description with desired qualifications.
- There are clearly defined learning objectives/goals related to the professional goals of the student’s academic coursework.
- There is supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of the experience.
- There is routine feedback by the experienced supervisor.
- There are resources, equipment, and facilities provided by the host employer that support learning objectives/goals.
Career Development Counselor
Assistant Director, Career Counseling & Marriott Tianjin China Program
Students must complete a minimum of 500 hours of industry-related work while enrolled at FIU. An additional 300 hours and 10 weeks minimum are required to fulfill the HFT 4945 – Advanced Internship course. For questions or concerns regarding requirements, please contact your Academic Advisor or Career Development Counselor.
Students must complete 1,000 hours of hospitality-related practical training work experience plus 300 hours for the Graduate Internship. A minimum of 800 hours must be completed while enrolled in the graduate program at FIU. For questions or concerns regarding requirements, please contact your Academic Advisor or Career Development Counselor.
Log work hours
Documentation of work experience is required and must be submitted to an academic advisor.
Request a waiver
Students with extensive industry management experience may request to waive up to 500 hours of work experience. Approval is subject to review.